Monday, March 9, 2009

Circus Contraption

As long as we're talking about things I'm proud of, let me mention the new show that I'm doing sound for, Circus Contraption. I did the sound system design and installation, and the overall sound design, and I'm sharing the night-to-night mixing duties with two other sound guys. If you happen to be in Seattle on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday in the next couple months, try to see the show! It's the real thing. The sword swallower actually swallows the sword, it's not just stage magic.

Doing live sound is very, very different than writing software. You do not get a chance to fix bugs, and you cannot take things slowly or stop to have a design discussion. Every night is different: the performers sing and play softer or louder, there are more or fewer people (read: sound-absorbing sacks of water) in the audience, equipment that worked the last night breaks this night, someone trips over a wire or forgets to turn on their microphone. You do what you can and move on. Frankly, I'd probably be a better software developer if I treated software more like live sound.

No comments: